19 August 2018

Heathers Ascending - Part 6

*Occasionally, I find illustrations or photos that catch my eye enough to write a story around them. I saw these on Tumblr. I don’t know the artist, but these images appeared in a 1930s McCall’s Fashion book. They inspired me to chart three ladies’ very bizarre day



After a detailed explanation by The Whispering Man about his second marriage to an Elephant Ear Palm Leaf, which was quite difficult to understand due to his instance on whispering everything he said, the Heathers were finally ready to  make their way to the party for which they had come. With great haste, they changed en route and took their usual place by the large maple tree, the one with the rope swing. The Whispering Man followed them because he no longer had on his hat and people wouldn’t take him seriously anymore.


The Superior Nunny walked briskly to the tree, having rather dedicatedly devoured an entire platter of various foods on crackers. As far as The Superior Nunny was concerned, if it can be put on a cracker, it should be. Unfortunately, having walked so briskly to their destination, she was forced to make a full stop suddenly so as not to step into those other girls territory; these types of acknowledgements mattered, even if those other girls said words like "howling" and "pitter-pat." 

So abrupt was her stop that she got stuck facing the wrong way. Oh dear, thought The Superior Nunny, and I had so wanted to wiggle against that bush behind me. It was then that she remembered she was wearing yellow and if there was one thing Miss Garthwacker had impressed upon her girls, it was that one does not fret in yellow. The Superior Nunny tsk'd herself properly and waved down a waiter for another Pimms Cup.

Directly behind The Superior Nunny, Archduchess Fanty looked at lady Jane with disdain.

"I thought matching our dress to our hair was mything tonight?" Archduchess Fanty said to Lady Jane.

"It was, mine is purely by accident." Lady Jane said.

"Oh, I see. Accidents do happen, I guess." Archduchess Fanty said.

"As I was changing into my dress, I suddenly remembered I was thinking about dying my hair this morning and you know how I angry I get at myself for not following through on my ideas." Lady Jane said.

"Yes, I do remember you saying that. It is all make sense now. Perhaps you and Nunny can swap dresses and then I can be the only matcher tonight." Archduchess Fanty offered.
"I would swap dresses with Nunny but she is desperately trying not to fret and I wouldn't want to interrupt her, did you hear the tsking she gave herself? It was proper, I tell you what. Besides, I found this matching Fellow." Lady Jane said pointing to the Dapper Fellow behind her.

Damn,thought Archduchess Fanty, I should have thought to find someone who matched.

"Nunny," The Whispering Man whispered.

"God?" The Superior Nunny asked looking in the distance.

"No, it's me. I think I am going to try and climb that beam of light shining down on those other girls." The Whispering Man whispered.

 The Superior Nunny thought about how nice it much be to be so close to the thicket and wondered if maybe the Heathers should redraw their district at parties. 

"I have a positively radical idea!" The Superior Nunny said to the Heathers behind her. "Let's all turn and face the other way."

No comments:

Post a Comment