19 August 2018

Heathers Ascending - Part 2

*Occasionally, I find illustrations or photos that catch my eye enough to write a story around them. I saw these on Tumblr. I don’t know the artist, but these images appeared in a 1930s McCall’s Fashion book. They inspired me to chart three ladies’ very bizarre day


After garnering more than a few glares for lobbing the globs of clay the twits called "Impressions Realized" figurines, the Heathers decided to quit the "Morning Gathering" in the Creative Arena. In actuality, Archduchess Fanty tripped on a performance artist lying on the floor representing the Ottoman Empire (the Heathers could not figure out if he was actually being ironic or just an idiot.) When she tripped, she stumbled out the door and heard the word "Flagle." Returning to the other two Heathers, Archduchess Fanty informed them of these recent developments:


"Someone's said "flagle."" Archduchess Fanty whispered.

"What does that mean?" The Superior Nunny inquired.

"I have no idea, " Archduchess Fanty responded, "but I think we should probably go find out.
"I don't know how we could come to any other conclusion," The Superior Nunny agreed.

They turned to Lady Jane, who announced, "I’m thinking of dying my hair."

"That would be a terrible idea, Lady Jane, besides, there is the 'flagle' to address." Archduchess Fanty said.

"Flagle?! Oh my stars and garters - I though you said "tarlaplenaslagle" and I thought, well, that nothing to rush out about. But yes, you are correct, we should leave. Especially since that person's shoes are offensive to me."

Archduchess Fanty adjusted her skirts (and tried to remember why she had put on more than one) as The Superior Nunny checked to make sure she still had both hands. Lady Jane grabbed a few more Little Men figures because she was sure she would need them later and out the door they marched, unfortunately three abreast because they had not quite figured out that that doesn't work for them.

They changed their outfits, as they always did between appointments, while traversing the skybridge walk between the warehouse they were in and the former telephone book factory that sat across the street. Entering the first door on the left (because to enter the first door on the right would have been gauche,) they came upon an old man carving bubblegum into farm animals. 

"We are here for the Flagle." The Superior Nunny said with authority. The other two Heathers nodded.

"We have no Flagle here." The man said in a rare blend of Cantonese and Castilian. 
"Of course you have no Flagle here, we would never expect a place like this to offer up Flagle," Lady Jane said, holding her figurines a little closer to her person for fear they would be recruited in the man's odd sheep army.

"What do you have?" The Superior Nunny asked, readjusting her wimple into a non-Flagle finding cloche.

"We have some tweezers." The Cantonese-Castilian speaking man said.

"Ugh! I am wearing white gloves," Archduchess Fanty exclaimed. "Beige gloves are more suited for tweezers - honestly, its as if you were born in a void."

From behind them a male voice whispered, "I knew about the beige glove bit." 
"Can you get us Flagle?" Archduchess Fanty asked.

"No, but I have cigarettes and a bottle of schnapps in my pocket." He whispered.

"Oh, that's what that... well, that's a disappointment." Lady Jane said.

"How can we trust you?" The Superior Nunny asked.

"I have a hat." He whispered.

"Let's jet." Archduchess Fanty said, taking his arm but promising to give it back once they got in the cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment